Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: These seem way over priced.....

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    You're welcome!

    Most 515Bs work great in the 825/828 cab as the A5 when coupled to a multi-cell, but requires either a very high output impedance source or corner loading for HIFI apps regardless of HF horn type as long as its polar response suits the XO point/slope since it rolls off much more below the cab's horn output than with an 803 or 416 series, so typically you need a sub system otherwise.

    Again, AFAIK the paper 'hinge' went away with the plain (no suffix) 515. All 515Bs I've ever seen either in pics or 'in the flesh' have the open weave doped cloth surround.

    You can always turn them into a nice furniture grade set ala the Magnificents or get another pair to build a pair of early A6s (mini A4 of sorts) to take along to the drags, so everyone in the paddock can enjoy your music....... forums

    GM

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron---I think that from 100 to 500 515Bs in 825-828s are just the best thing around; VERY well worth doing. But consider subs, they'll be light in the bass IME, I augmented my 515B-825s with a couple of JBL 4648s below 100hz.

    4

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RonSS:

    I don't get the mystery behind 515B. Paper hinge cone....won't go low.

    Who want's these and why?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Folks like me who want superior HF response in a nominal 15" radiator size. forums

    No mystery, they were the best that JBL (the man) knew how to make with the then existing materials, manufacturing technology for its intended apps and sonically hold up well when compared to any of the current apparently cost-no-object 15" mid-bass horn drivers.

    Only the original 515 (no suffix) AFAIK has the paper surround which combined with a different spider design and considerably higher Fs has audibly better highs than the later versions as well as being optimized for the limited BW cinema soundtracks of the day, so if used in a proper HIFI sealed or vented app today would require at least two/channel to keep distortion vanishingly low due to a very low Xmax plus sub system to fill in below 70 - 80 Hz IMO.

    JBL/Altec did an excellent job of making a lower F3 gain BW 515 in the 803/416 series, not to mention lower cost (a big deal in post WWII times), but it's a 'close but no cigar' choice for some of us if XO'd > ~300 - 500 Hz depending on who you ask.

    WRT pricing, the last invoice I still have for a 515B is 2.20.76 at a distributor net $156 ea.. I've no idea how this compares against any catalog or other pricing around the country in '76, but inputting this into an inflation calculator pumps it up to $456 through June with one and $649 in another.

    Don't have a clue why the big discrepency or which one is more accurate or even how they compare to GPA pricing for new ceramic motored ones, much less AlNiCo, but compared to new TADs, GOTOs, etc., these are below their basket only prices in the few instances I'm aware of, so as always YMMV.

    On a side note, not that it really matters other than for curiosity's sake, but the last 515B recone invoice I still have is for $35 ea./11.18.75, or ~$103/162 ea. as of June, so how does this compare with GPA pricing?

    Also, how does GPA's pricing compare to their closest equivalent to a 515B and what is its motor design and published Fs/Vas/Qts specs?

    Regardless, short of being truly desperate for cash I'd never consider selling any of mine for even the $649 as long as the TADs, etc. command higher used prices unless I was confident I could get an even better performing matched quad set, whether Altec, GPA, TAD, whoever, especially since they are the fairly rare AFAIK (measured/matched) 20 Hz Fs, 0.2 Qts versions.

    Well, that's not quite true, though it might as well be since the odds of me finding/affording what I'd like to replace them with are considered museum pieces today.

    As always though, YMMV.

    GM

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Guys,

    I have a pair of Altec 8184 subs, they are dandy. Already crossed at 70hz.

    GM....I could mount the A7's on the back of the Nova for true voice of the highway sound!

    Tom, I see a pair of edgarhorn soup bowl horns on top of you cabs, right? I have a pair of those collecting dust as well.....

    Ron

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member
    These seem way over priced.....


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually the fellow with the A-7's is not being as silly as this guy...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Tweeters-fr...QQcmdZViewItem


    One working, one not for $150 buy it now?


    The guy with the VOT's is only asking about ten times their value.

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm thinking 75-150 is about the range for complete and working model nines................ of course my thoughts get pretty off the wall from time to time too. forums

    We won't even get into UPS shipping for small items.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.